The Clues You Missed: 5 Super-Obvious Signs We Were in a Financial Bubble (TOP LINKS #16)
TOP LINKS brings a collection of Investment Research and Financial Independence topics for Long Term Investors. To be enjoyed with your post-ride coffee.
Learn how the markets work and get the highest quality insights from Wall Street and Main Street.
Unlike the rest of Bankeronwheels.com, this series is provided without much additional guidance.
As usual, everything is to be used at your own risk.
Quote of the week
This section is dedicated to research on how to invest for the Long Run (or the 90% of your Portfolio). Read Topics related to Asset Allocation or Research on Investor Behaviour.
- How Long Does it Take For Stocks to Bottom in a Bear Market? – A wealth of common sense
- Are TIPS broken? – Eversight Wealth
- The Clues You Missed: 5 Super-Obvious Signs We Were in a Financial Bubble – NY Mag
- Where does the wealth go when asset prices go down? It vanishes into nothingness. – Noahpinion
- Sanctions, SWIFT, and China’s Cross-Border Interbank Payments System – CSIS
Aswath Damodaran on how inflation affects company valuations and ESG is "a feel good scam that is making a lot of people wealthy
This section is dedicated research related to improving your knowledge about financial markets. If you decide to sin, then sin only a little. Combined active bets should be, at best, a relatively small fraction of your portfolio.
VALUATIONS AND VIEWS
FACTOR AND THEMATIC Investing
- Value Investing Is Not All About Tech – AQR
- Protecting Your Portfolio from Inflation After the Fact – GMO
- Decoding the Quality Factor – Behind the Balance Sheet
- Energy Investing 101 [Podcast] – Motley Fool
- Investors Miss Out on Gains When They Avoid Short-Selling for ESG – Institutional Investor
- A conversation with Jim Simons – Mathematics, Common Sense and Good luck [Youtube] – Abel Lectures
- The current state and future of Venture Capital [Twitter Thread] – Elad Gil
- Cliff Asness Questions Whether Investors in Private Equity Are Being Rewarded — or Penalized — for Taking Illiquidity Risk – Institutional Investor
John Collison in conversation with Stanley Druckenmiller (Sohn Foundation)
CRYPTO & BLOCKCHAIN
It’s not unreasonable to have skin in the game in a multi Trillion market. With one caveat. Be ready to lose it all. Remember that most crypto assets do not generate yield. If some do, there may be hidden risks involved.
- History is not on the side of the crypto’s grave dancers – Here is an example of a new technology from 200 years ago that reads a lot like crypto today … the invention of the bicycle – Sovereign Man
- JPMorgan Wants to Bring Trillions of Dollars of Tokenized Assets to DeFi – Coin Desk
- NFTs – The next Beanie Babies? – Market Sentiment
- Have you read the Crypto Bill? Regulations Incoming [Youtube] – Coin Bureau
PERSONAL FINANCE (UK/EU)
This section is dedicated to UK and European Investing and Personal Finance. It can also touch on other jurisdictions outside the Euro-zone.
BOOKS & MOVIEs
Movies and Books we reviewed this month:
- The Bogle Effect, How John Bogle and Vanguard Turned Wall Street Inside Out and Saved Investors Trillions by Eric Balchunas – There are a lot of misconceptions about Bogle, especially amongst his fans and the Bogleheads community. In this article, we will look at who you may think Bogle was but wasn’t, and what will forever remain the Bogle effect. Read the review.
- Just Keep Buying by Nick Maggiulli is one of the newest personal finance guides on the market. It is a good choice for those who have already recognized the importance of saving and investing or those who have a lump sum they would like to invest. As our readers will know we rarely give a book maximum score for both Investing Concepts and Personal Finance Know-how. Nick’s book is an exception. Read the review.
Other Book reviews:
- 5 great books for the summer – GatesNotes
DESIGN YOUR LIFESTYLE
This section is dedicated to the Why of Investing. FIRE Lifestyle Movement and Cycling Topics (bikepacking, touring and useful reviews)
- What’s it like to be happily retired – then go back to work? – Burning Desire for FIRE
- What would you ask someone who’s retired early? – FIRE and Wide
- 10 Years Of Fake Retirement Later: The Most Important Takeaways – Financial Samurai
How to build a wealth plan for financial independence
Good Luck & keep’em* rolling!
(* Wheels & Dividends)
SHARE THE ARTICLE
HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT INVESTING? ASK US.
REACH FINANCIAL INDEPENDENCE EARLIER
All information found here, including any ideas, opinions, views, predictions expressed or implied herein, are for informational, entertainment or educational purposes only and do not constitute financial advice. Consider the appropriateness of the information having regard to your objectives, financial situation and needs, and seek professional advice where appropriate. Read our full terms and conditions.